Monday, May 24, 2010

Minnesota Temporary Permit

How to Obtain a Minnesota 31-day Temporary Permit

If you purchase a vehicle in Minnesota you will need a temporary permit to drive it back to Canada. Minnesota has a variety of trip permits, but the one best suited to Canadian vehicle importers is the 31-Day Temporary, Non-resident

For more information visit Driver and Vehicle Services and click on Vehicle Services

Then click on Permits for details on the various types available.

Office locations can be found by choosing from the drop down list on this page Search for "Vehicles: Including Titles and Renewals" to find an office that will issue a trip permit.

For more information on how to complete a vehicle export from the United States, consult

North Dakota Trip Permit

How to Obtain a Temporary or Drive-Out Permit for North Dakota

If you purchase a vehicle in the US and have not registered it, you will require a trip permit to operate the vehicle back to Canada.

For North Dakota, please visit and click on Temporary Permits under Titling and Registration.

The fee for the permit is $5 and the permit is valid for 30 days from date of issue.

For more information on importing a motor vehicle from the US into Canada, please consult

Friday, May 7, 2010

Update for the Lewiston Border Crossing

Crossing from Buffalo, NY into Ontario

For all clients exporting a vehicle from the U.S. At the Lewiston Crossing (New York State)- DO NOT proceed to the office at 726 Exchange Street, Suite 400.

Upon entrance, you will be told that you need to go directly to the office AT THE BRIDGE. At the American side, stay to the left, and enter the American Border Offices. They will direct you to the correct department.

This will save you time, as the Exchange St. office is 15-20 minutes south of the bridge.